Pigment Removal IPL
Achieve the flawless skin you have always wanted with pigment removal
What is Pigment Removal IPL?
Would you like a more flawless, youthful completion? Unwanted pigmentation, commonly known as freckles, suns spots, liver spots and uneven skin tone are commonly associated with skin ageing. If you are looking for a more youthful, even toned completion IPL is a versatile treatment that has multiple benefits. IPL stands for Intense Pulse Light and is used to treat various types of pigmentation.
IPL emits multiple wavelengths of light energy through the surface of the skin which is attracted to the pigment – known as ‘melanin’. This creates a heating of the pigment, causing it to break up and lift to the surface of the skin where it naturally exfoliates away leaving the complexion more even toned. This treatment is not suitable for hormonal pigmentation or darker skin types, please visit Obagi Nuderm treatment page for an effective alternative.
How long until full results are seen?
Duration of results
Pigment darkening 2-5 days
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones.
At Staffordshire Skin and Laser Clinic, we know that your skin is your most important asset. That’s why we give it the attention it deserves. When you come in for a consultation we want you to feel comfortable and relaxed. We will do a full holistic assessment of your concerns including an Observe computerised skin analysis free of charge, to give a greater understanding of your treatment goals and expectations. We will looking at lifestyle factors, medical conditions and medications that may be contributing factors to allow a correct diagnosis of your pigmentation. We will assess for treatment contraindications as your safety is our number one priority. If your pigment concerns are resulting from sun damage or freckles you will be suitable for IPL. If you would like a patch test on the day we ask that you have not been exposed to tanning (real of fake) in the last 4 weeks. During your consultation we will discuss the benefits, potential side effects, risks, treatment alternatives and answer any questions you may have. As we are passionate about results we will also we will also advise on a ZO Skin Brightening protocol as well and nutritional support to allow for optimal results. Following your consultation we will provide you treatment information and a quote.
How does the treatment work?
As the IPL/Laser applicator is applied to the skin short pulses or light energy are released that are readily absorbed by the pigmented lesion due to the concentrations of melanin. Melanin is made by special cells in the skin and it is this that gives the skin colour. In pigmented lesions the melanin concentration is much higher than the surrounding skin and therefore more readily absorbs the light energy, this in turn heats the melanin and leads to a destruction of the melanin rich cells and unwanted pigmentation. Following treatment the pigment will darken and may form a microcyst that will naturally exfoliate over the following days, pigmentation will also be removed naturally by the bodies lymphatic system.
• Quick, effective and precise treatment
• Safe treatment option for sun spots, age spots and freckles
• Permanent, long term solution to unwanted pigmentation
• Can remove pigmentation from any part of the body
• Minimal to no downtime
• Improves the quality, tone and texture of the skin
• Collagen stimulating treatment
• Increased skin confidence
Is used to treat?
Non hormonal, light skin, dark spots, non raised, crusty, or changed in shape, non-actinic keratosis or moles.
Treatment safety and side effects
Firstly you are in safe hands by visiting a Save Face accredited centre of excellence. The skin surrounding the pigment lesion may appear red immediately after treatment which will usually disappear within a few hours to days. A rare side effect may be the formation of a small blister that may become temporally darker or lighter.
How many treatments will I need and how frequently?
The number of sessions will depend on the size and type of the pigmented lesions. An assessment of the pigmented lesion in most case will allow us to determine whether the pigmentation is dermal or epidermal, this relates to the depth. Epidermal lesions will respond very quickly to treatment sometimes in as little as 1-3 sessions. For pigmented that are dermal in nature this may require more sessions and may also require the use of a Q Switch laser treatment or skin lightening prescription cream for optimum results. Laser and IPL treatments for pigmentation are carried out at 4 weekly intervals.
Am I suitable for treatment?
Prior to any treatment at Staffordshire Skin & Laser Clinic a full medical consultation and assessment will be carried out to ensure there are no treatment contraindications as your safety is our priority. Treatment contraindications include:
• Pregnancy or breast feeding
• Eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis at the treatment site
• Active cold sore or skin infections in the treatment area
• History of keloid scarring or skin pigmentation disorders such as melasma
• Infected or compromised skin in the treatment area
• Immune system disorders such as Lupus or severe rheumatoid Arthritis
• Current use of medications such as Accutane or methotrexate
• Current use Herbal remedies such as saint john’s wort, fever few, Tetracycline antibiotics, minocycline’s Amiodarone and steroids (must be discontinued 6 weeks prior to treatment)
• History of methotrexate, or Gold injections
• Photodynamic Therapy (PDT), skin cancer
• Blood thinning medications such as warfarin, heparin or other types Cautions to treatment (GP to confirm suitability)
• Epilepsy, diabetes, heart or thyroid disease
• Cancer within 12 months
• Transplant, diabetes, hypertensive medication
• Blood borne viruses such as hepatitis and HIV
• Metal implants or tattoos in the treatment site
How does treatment feel?
Treatment can feel mildly uncomfortable, but the procedure is quick and tolerated very well by most patients without the need for any anaesthesia. Sensations vary from patient and it is usually described as a feeling of a quick, hot sting. Throughout your procedure your practitioner will applied cooled gauze to comfort and cool the skin.
Pre treatment guidelines
Please read carefully the following instructions to follow prior to each IPL treatment:
• Prior to treatment remove hair 1-2 days before in the treatment area
• Avoid perfume products, deodorant, creams, oils in the treatment area 24 hours before treatment.
• Avoid exfoliation treatments or products containing retinol or strong AHA fruit acids 1 week prior to treatment
• Wear loose, comfortable clothing in the treatment area when attending your appointment
• Do not tan or use sun beds for 4 weeks prior to each treatment. We can NOT treat tanned skin
• No fake tan 4 weeks before each treatment. We can NOT treat tanned skin
• Always protect your skin with a minimum of SPF 30 on exposed areas
• Inform you practitioner if there are any medical changes, this includes changes in medications, herbal remedies and or skin changes
What to expect during treatment
Prior to treatment the skin is cleaned and protective eyewear is worn. The laser or IPL hand piece is placed on the skin and a short pulse of light is released targeting the melanin within the pigment. The hand piece is then moved to the surrounding areas of skin until the entire area has been treated. For IPL treatments a thin layer of gel is applied to the skin prior to treatment to help guide the light.
What to expect after treatment?
Immediately post treatment the skin will appear red and slightly warm this will usually settle very quickly. The pigmented lesions will darken over the next few days following treatment and you may experience a small micro crust as the pigment naturally exfoliates from the skin. This is a really good response at it shows the melanin has effectively absorbed the light energy. Following the initial darkening the pigmented lesion it will start to fade and flake away over the following weeks.
Post treatment advice
Following your IPL treatment the post treatment advice recommendations are as follows:
• For redness and mild swelling apply Lynton Light Soothe for its calming and anti-inflammatory effects until the skin feels settled
• Avoid hot showers/baths for 48 hours, keep water cooler
• Avoid saunas and steam rooms for 1 week post treatment
• Avoid exfoliating treatments or chemical peels for 1 week
• Avoid swimming in chlorinated water for 2 days post treatment
• Avoid excessive sun exposure/sunbeds for 2 weeks post treatment
• Continue to wear your SPF minimum 30 on a daily basis
• Schedule your next treatment for 4 weeks’ time