Smile with confidence knowing that your laughter lines are soft and subtle.
What is Crows Feet?
Also known as laughter lines, crow’s feet is the name given to the wrinkles that appear at the sides of the eyes that stretch out towards the temple and upper cheek, almost giving the appearance of a crow’s claw or foot.
These lines will start to become more noticeable as we age, typically during our 30s, when they will start to appear deeper when smiling and squinting, as the underlying eye muscle contracts causing the skin to crease. Due to the effects of ageing overtime, these lines will start to deepen and become static (appearing when the skin and muscles are at rest) even without smiling or squinting, and continue to deepen as we age.
How we can help
Treatments that can help
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones here.
What causes crow's feet lines?
The development of crow’s feet are part of the natural aging process but can be accelerated by a combination of other factors. Years of the muscles around the eyes contracting when laughing and smiling and a loss of collagen and elasticity, as well as the skin also being very thin in this area, all contribute to the formation of laughter lines.
Lifestyle and environmental factors such as sun exposure, smoking, diet and pollution will further contribute to their development over time.
Can crows feet be prevented?
While crows feet are part of the natural ageing process, there are a number of things that we can do the delay their progression, or the deepening of existing lines. Similarly to other concerns of this type, behavioural and lifestyle factors can help, such as wearing SPF on a daily basis, a good skincare routine with antioxidants, maintaining a healthy, well-balanced diet, limiting alcohol, not smoking and wearing sunglasses throughout the year to help prevent squinting.
What are the treatment options for crow's feet?
The best treatment for crow’s feet lines will depend on the type of wrinkle (if it’s there at rest or just on contraction of the eye muscle), how quickly you would like to see results and how much downtime you can allow for recovery. Read on for our treatment guide:
- Botulinum Toxin – very effective for crow’s feet lines from repeated contraction of the muscle. A small amount of botulinum toxin will be injected into the muscles around the outer eye to reduce the movement of the muscle responsible for causing the lines when smiling and squinting. This is also great as a preventive measure to stop the lines from progressively getting worse with the ageing process. A botulinum toxin would always be advised first as a standard approach to treatment.
- Dermal Filler – a treatment option for crow’s feet lines that are a little deeper and there at rest. A hyaluronic acid dermal filler can be used to plump and smooth out the lines for long lasting natural results. For crow’s feet lines that extend further down the cheeks, which may a result of volume loss in the mid-face, a dermal filler can also be administered in this area for enhanced treatment results.
- ResurFACE – this award-winning skin resurfacing treatment is a great treatment option for crow’s feet lines that are deeper and can be seen when not contracting the eye muscle. Treatment will stimulate collagen whilst resurfacing the skin, making it much softer and smoother. For deeper lines this may be advised in combination with a dermal filler, or as a standalone option instead of dermal fillers or botulinum toxin. ResurFACE is a fractional laser that delivers similar results to more ablative lasers, with fewer side effects and shorter recovery times. The number of treatments required will be advised at your consultation.
- Plasma – a great treatment option for deeper crow’s feet lines that can be used in combination with botulinum toxin and dermal filler or as a standalone treatment for patients instead of the injectable route. The Plasma IQ uses a safe, scientific process where plasma is generated through focused, targeted micro-beams to cause sublation of the tissue, stimulating collagen remodelling through a process known as Fibroblasting. Through the creation of lots of tiny wounds to the skin, a wound healing process stimulates the cells to produce collagen and elastin. This process offers rejuvenating benefits including a reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Regenlite – a great collagen-stimulating laser that can be combined with all other treatment options. This visible yellow light laser mimics damage in the skin that stimulates the body’s natural wound healing response. Part of this response is the production of brand new collagen reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. The number of treatments required will be advised at your consultation.
- Electronic Derma Stamp (EDS) – a gold award-winning, professional micro-needling treatment that is clinically proven to rejuvenate the skin for a number of concerns including fine lines, wrinkles and textural improvements. The EDS medical-grade device penetrates the skin creating thousands of tiny wounds which stimulates a wound healing cascade, resulting in new collagen and skin cell formation and an enhanced blood supply. This process gives the skin a healthy, brighter and rejuvenated complexion whilst minimising lines and wrinkles around the eye area.
- Ultherapy® – uses advanced ultrasound energy to stimulate the production of your natural collagen and elastin, restoring suppleness and firmness to the skin. Ultherapy® can be administered in combination with other treatments for best results.
- Exilis Ultra 360 – this high tech, medical grade system uses radio frequency to heat the deeper layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production and a skin tightening effect to improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles. For crow’s feet lines this can be administered in combination with other treatments for best results.
Following your consultation your practitioner will advise on the best treatment for optimal results. We will ensure you have a good understanding of how the treatment will benefit your skin, including any downtime expected, duration of treatments and costs.
How can ZO Skin Health help with crow's feet?
ZO® Skin Health products are specifically designed to be the best skin care for ageing skin by addressing both the visible signs and key triggers of ageing, including crow’s feet, at every phase, restoring your skin’s strength and health overall. It uses only the highest quality active ingredients like retinoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, glycolic acid, lactic acid and more.
Following a consultation the best anti-ageing regimen that works to improve your skin texture, repair your skin barrier and restore a healthy, youthful appearance to your skin will be prescribed.
How does the Advanced Nutrition Programme help with crow's feet?
To help improve the appearance of ageing skin, whilst supporting skin elasticity, firmness and collagen production, experts recommend supplements from the Advanced Nutritional Programme (ANP) supplement range alongside a healthy diet. Traditional skincare is turned inside out with the innovative, award-winning range of evidence-based skincare supplements.
While topical skincare only treats 50% of the skin on the surface, ANP potent nutritional blends feed your skin from within for a proven, 100% skincare approach. Your skin will certainly thank you for it.