Reduce frown lines to give a more youthful appearance.
What are Frown Lines?
Frown lines are the vertical lines that appear between the eyebrows, also referred to as the number 11’s or the glabella. These lines can become bothersome even when they only appear during frowning, as frowning can be perceived as a negative expression related to anger, sadness or stress. With continued frowning over time, the lines will become deeper and eventually form a static wrinkle that will be present on the skin even when at rest. This process is associated with ageing. Excessive frowning can also lead to increased muscle tension in the face, a contributing factor in tension headaches or a trigger factor for migraines in susceptible people.
Trying to consciously avoid frowning can have positive effects on our mood, appearance, communication and the way we are perceived by others, as well as physical health. These are some of the reasons why people look towards options to reduce the appearance of their frown and frown lines.
How we can help
Treatments that can help
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones here.
What causes frown lines?
Alongside the natural ageing process, the primary factor contributing to frown lines is the repeated action of the forehead muscles squeezing inward as you furrow your brow. As the muscles contract it causes the skin to fold, creating a crease in between the eyebrows. When we are younger the skin snaps back into place due to higher levels of collagen and elasticity however, during the ageing process, these proteins decline, the lines become static and visible even when we are not frowning due to the skin’s inability to continue to snap back into place.
Other factors that can accelerate the development of frown lines include excessive sun exposure, as this leads to the premature breakdown of collagen and elastin. The decline of these proteins can be further exacerbated by lifestyle choices such as poor diet, dehydration, excessive alcohol and smoking, and inadequate skin care regimens.
Can frown lines be prevented?
While frown lines are part of the natural ageing process, there are a number of things that you can do to delay the progression of their development, or the deepening of existing lines.
One of the most important things is to wear SPF on a daily basis throughout the year, as UV damage is one of the biggest contributing factors to accelerating skin aging. A good medical skincare routine with antioxidants is also essential to help fight free radical damage, while active ingredients such as growth factors and retinoids can help to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key, consuming a diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, limiting unhealthy food choices and alcohol, alongside stopping smoking, all of which will help to promote skin health and slow down the ageing process.
What are the treatment options to prevent and soften frown lines?
Although frown lines are part of the natural ageing process, there are a number of treatments that can prevent them developing, as well as soften pre-existing lines. For superficial frown lines a single treatment may suffice, however for lines that are much deeper and are visible at rest, a combination of treatments may be required.
- Botulinum Toxin – a very effective treatment where a small amount of botulinum toxin will be injected into the muscles responsible for frowning, to reduce the movement and the contraction of the skin. This is a great standalone treatment option for superficial frown lines that have not yet become deep, or are still only visible when frowning. For deeper lines, a botulinum toxin treatment in combination with other treatments such as dermal fillers or skin resurfacing may be more effective.
- Dermal Filler – a good treatment option for frown lines that are a little deeper and visible at rest. A hyaluronic acid dermal filler can be used to plump and smooth out the frown lines for long lasting natural results. As the primary cause of the frowning is the muscle, we recommend having the muscles relaxed with botulinum toxin prior to a dermal filler treatment.
- ResurFACE – this award-winning skin resurfacing treatment is a great treatment option for frown lines. Treatment will stimulate collagen and resurface the skin, making the skin much softer and smoother while visibly reducing the frown. For deeper lines this may be advised in combination with a botulinum toxin and/or dermal filler. ResurFACE is a fractional laser that delivers similar results to more ablative lasers with fewer side effects and downtime. How many treatments are required will be advised at your consultation.
- Plasma – a great treatment option for deeper frown lines that can be used in combination with botulinum toxin, and dermal filler, or as a stand alone treatment for patients preferring a non-injectable route. The Plasma IQ uses a safe, scientific process where plasma is generated through focused, targeted micro-beams to cause sublation of the tissue, stimulating collagen remodelling through a process known as Fibroblasting. Through the creation of lots of tiny wounds to the skin, a wound healing process stimulates the cells to produce collagen and elastin. This process offers rejuvenating benefits including a reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Regenlite – a great collagen-stimulating laser that can be combined with all other treatment options. This visible yellow light laser mimics damage in the skin that stimulates the body’s natural wound healing response. Part of this response is the production of brand new collagen reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. The number of treatments required will be advised at your consultation.
- Electronic Derma Stamp (EDS) – a gold award-winning, professional micro-needling treatment that is clinically proven to rejuvenate the skin for a number of concerns including fine lines, wrinkles and textural improvements. The EDS medical-grade device penetrates the skin creating thousands of tiny wounds which stimulates a wound healing cascade, resulting in new collagen and skin cell formation and an enhanced blood supply. This process gives the skin a healthy, brighter and rejuvenated complexion whilst minimising lines and wrinkles.
Following your consultation your practitioner will advise on the best treatment for optimal results. We will ensure you have a good understanding of how the treatment will benefit your skin, including any downtime expected, treatment duration and costs.
How can ZO Skin Health help with frown lines?
ZO® Skin Health products are specifically designed to be the best skin care for ageing skin by addressing both the visible signs and key triggers of ageing at every phase. It uses only the highest quality active ingredients like retinoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, glycolic acid, lactic acid and more.
Following a consultation the best anti-ageing regimen that works to tighten and firm the skin, improve skin texture, repair your skin barrier and restore a healthy, youthful appearance to your skin will be prescribed.
How does the Advanced Nutrition Programme help with frown lines?
To help improve the appearance of ageing skin whilst supporting skin elasticity, firmness and collagen production, experts recommend supporting the skin with supplements from the Advanced Nutritional Programme (ANP) supplement range alongside a healthy diet. Traditional skincare is turned inside out with the innovative, award-winning range of evidence-based skincare supplements.
While topical skincare only treats 50% of the skin on the surface, ANP potent nutritional blends feed your skin from within for a proven, 100% skincare approach. Your skin will certainly thank you for it.