Remove unwanted freckles for a more even toned, radiant complexion.
What are Freckles?
Freckles are determined by our genetics and often present during childhood in sun exposed areas. Freckles are small brown, flat spots on your skin. They can vary in colour from red to dark or light brown and are not associated with sun damage although do occur through sun exposure. Freckles do not pose any health concern and are extremely common in sun exposed areas of the face and body. They form as a result of an overproduction of melanin and can be more common in people with fair skin and red hair due to genetics. For some people may find their freckles an attractive feature whereas others may prefer for a more clear complexion and opt for freckle removal treatments.
HOW WE CAN HELP
TREATMENTS THAT CAN HELP
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones here.
What causes freckles?
The main contributing factor to the development of freckles are genetics, if you have family members with them then you are more likely to develop them to . People with lighter skin types are more likely to develop freckles as they have less melanin, this is the pigment that is responsible for the skin, hair and eye colour. As the skin is exposed to sunlight there is an increase in melanin (pigmentation) production as the skin protects itself from harmful UV rays. However the melanin that is produced is not evenly dispersed in the skin and forms small clusters resulting in the appearance of freckles. Freckles will appear darker when exposed to the sun and may lighten and fade when not.
Will my skin always be prone to developing freckles?
If due to your genetics you are prone to developing freckles, the only way to really to minimise them is to protect your skin daily with sun protection factor (SPF) and limit your sun exposure. Most freckles will develop during early childhood, and may only become a cosmetic concern into adult life for those seeking a clearer complexion.
What treatments are effective for freckle removal?
Treatments for freckle removal can be very effective.
- Intense Pulse Light (IPL): A treatment for freckle removal without the downtime of skin peeling. As the light energy passes over the skin the heat is absorbed by the melanin in the freckles which leads to a superficial micro crust and exfoliation gradually fading and removing freckles over a course of treatment
- Obagi Nu Derm will transform your skin from the inside out. It is the world’s leading prescription-strength skincare range, and is only available from a qualified medical practitioner. Obagi Medical have been specifically formulated to safely transform the skin from and visibly reduce pigmentation concerns such as sun damage and freckles resulting in healthier, radiant skin.
- Hydrafacial – HydraFacial is an effective treatment for reducing superficial pigment . This treatment provides a combination of cleansing, deep exfoliation, extraction, hydration, and antioxidant infusion finished with light therapy to deep clean and rejuvenate and brighten the skin.
- Chemical Peels – The Blue Peel Radiance and ZO Stimulator peel are effective. This will involve an application of a peel to the ski which will gently exfoliate the upper layer of skin cells. A treatment option for those wanting to fade freckles but not remove them completely.
- ResurFace: This is an effective treatment for any type of pigment including freckles. The laser treatment will cause tiny columns of thermal damage, resulting in a break up of pigmentation, a stimulation of collagen and skin cell turnover and deep resurfacing of the skin for a much clearer and brighter complexion.
Following your consultation your practitioner will advise the best treatment for optimal results. We will ensure you have a good understanding of how the treatment will benefit your skin, including benefits, any downtime expected, duration and costs.
Will freckles return following treatment?
The return of freckles following treatment will be dependent on the individual and the type of treatment used, and if freckles have been removed or simply reduced. As freckles are determined by genetics and sun exposure, genetics is something that can not be changed so the best way to prevent darkening of, or their return is to wear sun protection factor (SPF) on a daily basis and limit our exposure to the sun’s harmful rays. Following treatment you may be advised a topical skin care regimen that includes retinoids and antioxidants along side your daily SPF.
How can ZO Skin Health help to support my skin?
ZO Principles of Skin Health Restoration specifically focus on restoring skin’s strength and optimizing cellular functions to provide the best treatment outcomes and achieve overall skin health restoration. Skin should be fortified to renew, protect and strengthen itself to maintain healthy skin for life., ZO has your skin health covered with its clinically proven, medical skin care brand. ZO Skin Health products are specifically designed to be the best skin care for ageing skin by addressing both the visible signs and key triggers of pigmentation at every phase. Only the highest quality active ingredients like retinoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, glycolic acid, lactic acid and more. Following a consultation the best pigmentation regimen that works to brighten the skin, improve skin texture, repair your skin barrier and restore a healthy, youthful appearance to your skin will be prescribed.
How does the The Advanced Nutrition Programme support my skin?
To help improve the appearance of ageing skin including sun damage, freckles, sun spots and hormonal pigmentation, experts recommend supporting the skin ageing with supplements from the Advanced Nutritional Programme (ANP) supplement range alongside a healthy diet. Traditional skincare is turned inside out with the innovative, award-winning range of evidence-based skincare supplements. While topical skincare only treats 50% of the skin on the surface, ANP potent nutritional blends feed your skin from within for a proven, 100% skincare approach, your skin will certainly thank you for it.