Put the snap back into your skin with our skin tightening facial treatments.
What is Skin Laxity?
Skin laxity refers to skin that has become loose and has lost its elasticity, firmness and strength, not snapping back into place after being stretched or pulled. The skin may also include a degree of lines and wrinkles.
There are different severities of skin laxity, and with all it is a common occurrence during the natural ageing process. However it can be further accelerated by lifestyle choices or a genetic predisposition and may affect a person’s self-confidence and self-esteem. Skin laxity is particularly common in the neck and facial region.
How we can help
Treatments that can help
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones here.
What causes skin laxity?
As we age the skin can start to feel less firm as the two main proteins associated with skin firmness – collagen and elastic – start to naturally decline. The decline of these proteins can be further exacerbated by lifestyle choices such as excessive sun exposure, poor diet, excessive alcohol and smoking. As part of natural ageing, skin laxity starts to show from middle age and continues to progress as we get older.
Can skin laxity be prevented?
While skin laxity is part of the natural ageing process, there are a number of things that you can do to delay its progression and maintain overall skin health, including firmness.
One of the most important things to do is to wear SPF on a daily basis throughout the year, as UV damage is one of the biggest contributing factors to accelerating skin aging. A good medical skincare routine with antioxidants is also essential to help fight free radical damage, while active ingredients such as growth factors and retinoids can help to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key, consuming a diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to feed and nourish the skin, while staying hydrated and limiting unhealthy food choices and alcohol.
Stopping smoking will help to increase skin health and slow down the ageing process, as this is a big contributor in collagen and elastin breakdown.
To prevent body skin laxity it is important to maintain a healthy weight, avoiding fluctuations in weight loss, however if you are on a weight loss programme, do this slowly and steadily, to allow your skin to adjust to its new size. Engaging in regular muscle toning exercises will also help to fill the skin and improve its overall tone and appearance.
What are the treatment options for skin laxity?
If skin laxity is a concern, one of the following treatments may be advised during your consultation. This may be suggested as a stand alone treatment or as a combination of therapy for best results.
- Ultherapy® – a non-surgical alternative to a face lift, recognised as Gold Standard for non-surgical skin lifting and tightening. Ultherapy® uses advanced ultrasound energy in the deeper layers of the skin to stimulate the natural production of collagen and elastin, restoring the skin’s suppleness and firmness. Ultherapy® is a great treatment option when administered to the lower face, neck and décolletage, giving you a lift and tightening effect that can last over a year from a single treatment.
- Exilis Ultra 360 – this can be used as a treatment of skin laxity from head to toe . This high tech, medical grade system uses radio-frequency to heat the deeper layers of the skin stimulating collagen production and producing a skin tightening effect. It improves the appearance of skin laxity, giving it back its much-desired firmness, whether during post-pregnancy or to combat the natural signs of ageing.
- Profhilo®: Profhilo® is a completely new approach to anti-ageing treatments, addressing skin laxity or ‘creepy skin’. This effective, non-surgical facelift is designed to naturally lift and tighten the skin as a ‘beneath the skin’ bio-remodelling injectable hyaluronic acid moisturiser. Profhilo® has one of the highest concentrations of hyaluronic acid on the market and utilises a patented technology designed for skin remodelling. It has a stimulating effect on the dermal cells, aiding in the production of new collagen and elastin which helps increase the skin’s firmness and elasticity. It can be used for both face and body concerns of ageing or sagging skin with effects that can last up to 6 months.
- Electronic Derma Stamp (EDS) – a gold award-winning, professional micro-needling treatment that is clinically proven to rejuvenate the skin for a number of concerns including fine lines, wrinkles, textural improvements and skin laxity. The EDS medical-grade device penetrates the skin creating thousands of tiny wounds which stimulates a wound healing cascade, resulting in new collagen and skin cell formation and an enhanced blood supply. This process gives the skin a healthy, brighter and rejuvenated complexion whilst minimising lines and wrinkles and firming the skin.
- ResurFACE – this award-winning skin resurfacing treatment is a great treatment option for skin laxity, fine lines and wrinkles. Treatment will stimulate collagen whilst resurfacing the skin, making it much firmer and tighter. ResurFACE is a fractional laser that delivers similar results to more ablative lasers, with fewer side effects and shorter recovery times. The number of treatments required will be advised at your consultation.
- Plasma – the Plasma IQ uses a safe, scientific process where plasma is generated through focused, targeted micro-beams to cause sublation of the tissue, stimulating collagen remodelling through a process known as Fibroblasting. Through the creation of lots of tiny wounds to the skin, a wound healing process stimulates the cells to produce collagen and elastin. This process offers rejuvenating benefits including a reduction of fine lines and wrinkles, while improving skin laxity and firmness.
Following your consultation your practitioner will advise on the best treatment for optimal results. We will ensure you have a good understanding of how the treatment will benefit your skin, including any downtime expected, treatment duration and costs.
How can ZO Skin Health help with skin laxity?
ZO® Skin Health products are specifically designed to be the best skin care for ageing skin by addressing both the visible signs and key triggers of ageing at every phase. It uses only the highest quality active ingredients like retinoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, glycolic acid, lactic acid and more.
Following a consultation the best anti-ageing regimen that works to tighten and firm the skin, improve skin texture, repair your skin barrier and restore a healthy, youthful appearance to your skin will be prescribed.
How does the Advanced Nutrition Programme help with skin laxity?
To help improve the appearance of ageing skin whilst supporting skin elasticity, firmness and collagen production, experts recommend supplements from the Advanced Nutritional Programme (ANP) supplement range alongside a healthy diet. Traditional skincare is turned inside out with the innovative, award-winning range of evidence-based skincare supplements.
While topical skincare only treats 50% of the skin on the surface, ANP potent nutritional blends feed your skin from within for a proven, 100% skincare approach. Your skin will certainly thank you for it.