Reduce forehead lines to give a more youthful appearance.
What are Forehead Lines?
These are the horizontal lines across that appear across the forehead, which occur due to years of contracting the forehead muscles in instances such as raising our eyebrows.
When we are young the skin snaps back into place due to a higher production of collagen and elasticity, however during the ageing process as these proteins decline, the lines become static and visible even when we are not raising the brow.
How we can help
Treatments that can help
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones here.
What causes forehead lines?
Forehead lines, also known as horizontal lines that appear across the forehead, occur due to years of contracting the forehead muscles making expressions such as raising our eyebrows, causing the overlying skin to crease. When we are young the skin snaps back into place due to a higher production of collagen and elasticity, however during the ageing process as these proteins decline, the lines become static and visible even when we are not raising the brow.
These lines appear due to age-related changes and repeated contraction of the forehead muscle. For some people these lines are of no concern, while for others they may feel self-conscious and perceive them as a visible sign of ageing. Forehead lines can vary in severity, from early expression lines that snap straight back into place to deeper lines that are there while the forehead is at rest.
Can forehead lines be prevented?
While forehead lines are part of the natural ageing process, there are a number of things that you can do to delay the progression of their development, or the deepening of existing lines.
One of the most important things is to wear SPF on a daily basis throughout the year, as UV damage is one of the biggest contributing factors to accelerating skin aging. A good medical skincare routine with antioxidants is also essential to help fight free radical damage, while active ingredients such as growth factors and retinoids can help to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key where consuming a diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, limiting unhealthy food choices and alcohol and not smoking will all help to promote skin health and slow down the ageing process.
What are the treatment options to prevent and soften forehead lines?
Although forehead lines are part of the natural ageing process, there are a number of treatments that can prevent them developing and soften pre-existing lines. For superficial forehead lines a single treatment may suffice, however for lines that are much deeper and visible at rest, a combination of treatments may be required.
- Botulinum Toxin – a very effective treatment where a small amount of botulinum toxin will be injected into the muscles responsible for raising the eyebrows, to reduce the movement and the contraction of the skin. This is a great standalone treatment option for superficial forehead lines that have not yet become deep, or are still only visible when raising the brows. For deeper lines, a botulinum toxin treatment in combination with other treatments such as dermal fillers or skin resurfacing may be more effective.
- ResurFACE – this award-winning skin resurfacing treatment is a great treatment option for forehead lines. Treatment will stimulate collagen and resurface the skin, making the skin much softer and smoother while visibly reducing the horizontal lines. For deeper lines this may be advised in combination with a botulinum toxin or as a standalone options for patients preferring a non-injectables route. ResurFACE is a fractional laser that delivers similar results to more ablative lasers with fewer side effects and downtime. How many treatments are required will be advised at your consultation.
- Plasma – a great treatment option for deeper forehead lines that can be used in combination with botulinum toxin or as a stand alone treatment. The Plasma IQ uses a safe, scientific process where plasma is generated through focused, targeted micro-beams to cause sublation of the tissue, stimulating collagen remodelling through a process known as Fibroblasting. Through the creation of lots of tiny wounds to the skin, a wound healing process stimulates the cells to produce collagen and elastin. This process offers rejuvenating benefits including a reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Regenlite – a great collagen-stimulating laser for forehead lines that can be combined with all other treatment options. This visible yellow light laser mimics damage in the skin that stimulates the body’s natural wound healing response. Part of this response is the production of brand new collagen reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. The number of treatments required will be advised at your consultation.
- Electronic Derma Stamp (EDS) – a gold award-winning, professional micro-needling treatment that is clinically proven to rejuvenate the skin for a number of concerns including fine lines, wrinkles and textural improvements. The EDS medical-grade device penetrates the skin creating thousands of tiny wounds which stimulates a wound healing cascade, resulting in new collagen and skin cell formation and an enhanced blood supply. This process gives the skin a healthy, brighter and rejuvenated complexion whilst minimising lines and wrinkles.
Following your consultation your practitioner will advise on the best treatment for optimal results. We will ensure you have a good understanding of how the treatment will benefit your skin, including any downtime expected, treatment duration and costs.
How can ZO Skin Health help with forehead lines?
ZO® Skin Health products are specifically designed to be the best skin care for ageing skin by addressing both the visible signs and key triggers of ageing at every phase. It uses only the highest quality active ingredients like retinoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, glycolic acid, lactic acid and more.
Following a consultation the best anti-ageing regimen that works to tighten and firm the skin, improve skin texture, repair your skin barrier and restore a healthy, youthful appearance to your skin will be prescribed.
How does the Advanced Nutrition Programme help with forehead lines?
To help improve the appearance of ageing skin whilst supporting skin elasticity, firmness and collagen production, experts recommend supporting the skin with supplements from the Advanced Nutritional Programme (ANP) supplement range alongside a healthy diet. Traditional skincare is turned inside out with the innovative, award-winning range of evidence-based skincare supplements.
While topical skincare only treats 50% of the skin on the surface, ANP potent nutritional blends feed your skin from within for a proven, 100% skincare approach. Your skin will certainly thank you for it.