Vertical lip lines
Embrace your smile with confidence by reducing vertical lip lines.
What are Vertical Lip Lines?
How we can help
Treatments that can help
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones here.
What causes vertical lip lines?
Vertical lip lines are part of the natural aging process, however some people may have a tendency to develop them more so than others due to a genetic predisposition. As skin ages we start to lose collagen and elasticity which leads to the formation of lines and wrinkles.
The repeated action of pursing the lips over many years is one factor, though lifestyle choices such as smoking, sun exposure, poor diet, excessive alcohol and poor skin care or hydration can contribute or further exacerbate the lines.
Can vertical lip lines be prevented?
While lip lines and wrinkles are part of the natural ageing process, there are a number of things you can do to delay their progression, or the deepening of existing lines.
Behavioural and lifestyle factors can help to promote skin health and slow down the ageing process, such as wearing SPF on a daily basis, a good skincare routine with antioxidants, maintaining a healthy, well-balanced diet and limiting alcohol. Importantly for this concern, anything that involves the repeated action of pursing the lips, such as smoking or drinking through straws, should be avoided.
What are the treatment options for vertical lip lines?
The best treatment for vertical lip lines will depend on the depth of the wrinkles, how quickly you would like to see results and how much downtime you can allow for recovery. Follow our treatment guide for best results:
- Botulinum Toxin – an effective treatment for vertical lip lines due to repeated contraction of the lip muscles. A small amount of botulinum toxin will be injected into the muscles around the mouth to reduce the movement of the muscle responsible for causing the lines. This treatment option is best for superficial lines that have not yet become deep or are still only visible when pursing the lips. For deeper lines, a botulinum toxin in combination with other treatments such as dermal fillers or skin resurfacing will be more effective.
- Dermal Filler – a good treatment option for vertical lip lines that are a little deeper and visible at rest. A hyaluronic acid dermal filler can be used to plump and smooth out the lip lines for long lasting natural results. If there is volume loss in the upper lip and a loss of structural support, this can also be corrected within the same treatment.
- ResurFACE – this award-winning skin resurfacing treatment will stimulate collagen to resurface the skin, making the skin much softer and smoother and visibly reducing the lip lines. For deeper lines this treatment may be advised in combination with a dermal filler. ResurFACE is a fractional laser that delivers similar results to more ablative lasers with fewer side effects and downtime. The number of treatments required will be advised at your consultation.
- Plasma – a great treatment option for deeper vertical lip lines that can be used in combination with dermal filler or as a standalone treatment for patients instead of the injectable route. The Plasma IQ uses a safe, scientific process where plasma is generated through focused, targeted micro-beams to cause sublation of the tissue, stimulating collagen remodelling through a process known as Fibroblasting. Through the creation of lots of tiny wounds to the skin, a wound healing process stimulates the cells to produce collagen and elastin. This process offers rejuvenating benefits including a reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Regenlite – a great collagen-stimulating laser that can be combined with all other treatment options. This visible yellow light laser mimics damage in the skin that stimulates the body’s natural wound healing response. Part of this response is the production of brand new collagen reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. The number of treatments required will be advised at your consultation.
- Electronic Derma Stamp (EDS) – a gold award-winning, professional micro-needling treatment that is clinically proven to rejuvenate the skin for a number of concerns including fine lines, wrinkles and textural improvements. The EDS medical-grade device penetrates the skin creating thousands of tiny wounds which stimulates a wound healing cascade, resulting in new collagen and skin cell formation and an enhanced blood supply. This process gives the skin a healthy, brighter and rejuvenated complexion whilst minimising lines and wrinkles around the lip area.
Following your consultation your practitioner will advise on the best treatment for optimal results. We will ensure you have a good understanding of how the treatment will benefit your skin, including any downtime expected, treatment duration and costs.
How can ZO Skin Health help with vertical lip lines?
ZO® Skin Health products are specifically designed to be the best skin care for ageing skin by addressing both the visible signs and key triggers of ageing at every phase. It uses only the highest quality active ingredients like retinoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, glycolic acid, lactic acid and more.
Following a consultation the best anti-ageing regimen that works to improve lip lines, skin texture, repair your skin barrier and restore a healthy, youthful appearance to your skin will be prescribed.
How does the Advanced Nutrition Programme help with vertical lip lines?
To help improve the appearance of ageing skin whilst supporting skin elasticity, firmness and collagen, production experts recommend supplements from the Advanced Nutritional Programme (ANP) supplement range alongside a healthy diet. Traditional skincare is turned inside out with the innovative, award-winning range of evidence-based skincare supplements.
While topical skincare only treats 50% of the skin on the surface, ANP potent nutritional blends feed your skin from within for a proven, 100% skincare approach. Your skin will certainly thank you for it.