Put the snap back into your skin with our body skin tightening treatments.
What is Skin Laxity?
Loose skin can develop for a number of reasons, it can have an impact on a person’s self-esteem and body confidence, this can also be a concern if the areas of loose skin are difficult to conceal and limit the choice of clothing you may want to wear. This can have an impact on your confidence in social situations. If there has been a substantial weight loss, then the presence of loose skin may be a constant reminder of the reasons that contributed to it occurring, and further feelings of self-confidence may arise as now you have addressed one concern it has been replaced with another.
However it is important to remember how much has been achieved and how far you have come. Other factors such as pregnancy where the abdomen has stretched to accommodate the growing foetus will result in skin laxity. For many this may not be of a concern, however while others are keen to get there pre pregnancy body back to shape as this will boost their confidence and self-esteem. With regards to skin laxity, if this is excessive it may be that surgical options are more appropriate, while if the laxity is more so moderate to mild then non-surgical treatment options may be beneficial.
How we can help
Treatments that can help
You’ve probably got some questions, but before you get in touch, we’ve answered the most common ones here.
What causes skin laxity?
As we age the skin can start to feel less firm as the two main proteins associated with skin firmness – collagen and elastic start to naturally decline. As well as a decline in collagen and elastin we also have a reduction in levels of hyaluronic acid, which helps to retain skin moisture allowing it to feel plumper. Unlike the face where sagging skin can also be exacerbated by volume loss with in the facial fat pads reducing the underlying support structure for the skin, the appearance of body skin laxity can also be contributed to loss of muscle mass and body fat. When our bodies go through a period off weight loss, you may find that the skin no longer snaps back into place this is due to damage of the collagen and elastin fibres over a prolonged period of time. It is quite normal to experience skin laxity post pregnancy, factors that may further contribute to this may include multiple births, additional weight gained, age at time of pregnancy alongside genetic factors. Other factors that may contribute to the appearance of body skin laxity include loss of muscle, especially in the arms and legs as muscle helps to fill out the skin. This is why it is important to incorporate weight training exercises alongside skin tightening treatments are important if this is a concern you may have.
What can I do to improve the appearance of loose skin
There are a number of things that can be done to improve the appearance of loose skin, however this will be a gradual process that will take time, patience and consistency. Here are a few things that you can do to help the process.
- Regular exercise – Engage in exercise that targets strength and muscle building. Focus on the areas of concern and use specific exercises to target theses muscle groups. By increasing the muscle mass, it will have a knock on effect of filling the skin out, reducing the appearance of skin laxity. For further health improvements combining this with some cardiovascular workouts will give an added benefit.
- Balanced diet – A diet that is well balanced and rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals will support your skin health. By providing your body with the correct nutrient building blocks it is able to promote collagen and elastin production. Alongside a good diet it is important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Protect your skin – Protect your skin from the damaging effects of UV rays. Wear a daily sunscreen and protective clothing. These harmful rays will contribute to the breakdown of collagen and elastin, this will ultimately lead to further skin laxity
- Skin care routine – A good skin care routine will go along way in promoting skin health. Products that contain active ingredients such as retinols, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants and collagen boosting ingredients will certainly help to improve the elasticity and appearance of the skin.
- Weight loss – if you are concerned about skin laxity due to weight loss, the best advice is to lose your weight gradually, this will allow your body to gradually adjust as well.
- Non-surgical treatments – there are a number of treatments available such as radiofrequency, lasers and ultrasound therapy that can be very effective at stimulating collagen, resulting in tightening effects on the skin, improving its overall appearance the effects of skin laxity.
What treatments are effective for loose skin?
There are a number of effective treatments for the body to target loose skin. The best treatment will be advised following a consultation and full assessment of your concern areas. For best results a single treatment may be advised where for others combination therapy may be more effective.
- EXILIS ULTRA 360 can be used as a s a treatment option for treatment of skin laxity from head to toe . This high tech, medical grade system uses radio-frequency to heat the deeper layers of the skin stimulating a collagen production and skin tightening effect, improving the appearance of skin laxity, giving it back that tightness and much desired firmness
- Profhilo is a complete new approach to anti-ageing treatments. This effective, non-surgical facelift is designed to naturally lift and tighten the skin, it is a new discovery in addressing skin laxity, sagging and a way to get rid of ‘crepey skin’. This revolutionary ‘beneath the skin’ hyaluronic acid moisturiser has one of the highest concentrations of hyaluronic acid on the market and utilises a patented technology designed for skin remodelling to restore firmness in the skin This skin bio-remodelling injectable treatment has a stimulating effect on the dermal cells, aiding in the production of new collogen and elastin resulting in increased firmness and elasticity in the skin. It can be used for both face and body concerns, to aid in the remodelling of ageing or sagging skin with effects that can last up to 6 months.
- Electronic Derma Stamp (EDS): This is a gold award-winning professional micro needling treatment clinically proven to rejuvenate the skin for a number of concerns including fine lines, wrinkles, textural improvements as well as skin laxity. EDS medical grade device penetrates the skin creating thousands of tiny wounds. This controlled injury to the skin stimulates a wound healing cascade, resulting in new collogen and skin cell formation and an enhanced blood supply, giving the skin a healthy, brighter, rejuvenated complexion whilst minimising lines and wrinkles and firming the skin
- ResurFACE: This award winning skin resurfacing treatment is a great treatment option for skin laxity. Treatment will stimulate collagen whist resurfacing the skin, making the skin much firmer and tighter. ResurFACE is a fractional laser that delivers similar results to more ablative lasers with fewer side effects and downtime. How many treatments required be advised at your consultation.
- Emsculpt –If the skin laxity is exacerbated by loss of muscle mass then improving the muscle tone will have a knock on effect on filling out the skin reducing the appearance of skin laxity. The BTL Emsculpt is an FDA cleared, non-invasive body sculpting treatment that simultaneously builds muscle. The procedure delivers high intensity focused electromagnetic energy (HIFEM) into the muscle fibres, stimulating a supramaximal muscle contraction, resulting in contraction of more muscle fibres that we can achieve through exercise. This leads to an increase in muscle definition. Treatment can tone and strengthen muscle groups such the abdomen, buttocks, upper arms and calves.
Following your consultation your practitioner will advise the best treatment for optimal results. We will ensure you have a good understanding of how the treatment will benefit your skin, including benefits, any downtime expected, duration and costs.
How can ZO Skin Health help to support my skin?
ZO Principles of Skin Health Restoration specifically focus on restoring skin’s strength and optimizing cellular functions to provide the best treatment outcomes and achieve overall skin health restoration. Skin should be fortified to renew, protect and strengthen itself to maintain healthy skin for life. ZO has your skin health covered with its clinically proven, medical skin care brand. ZO Skin Health products are specifically designed to be the best skin care for ageing skin by addressing both the visible signs and key triggers of ageing at every phase. Only the highest quality active ingredients like retinoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, glycolic acid, lactic acid and more. Following a consultation the best anti-ageing regimen that works to tighten and firm the skin, improve skin texture, repair your skin barrier and restore a healthy, youthful appearance to your skin will be prescribed.
How does the The Advanced Nutrition Programme support my skin?
To help improve the appearance of loose skin whilst supporting skin elasticity, firmness and collagen production, experts recommend supporting the skin with supplements from the Advanced Nutritional Programme (ANP) supplement range alongside a healthy diet. Traditional skincare is turned inside out with the innovative, award-winning range of evidence-based skincare supplements. While topical skincare only treats 50% of the skin on the surface, ANP potent nutritional blends feed your skin from within for a proven, 100% skincare approach, your skin will certainly thank you for it.